Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Halloween practice time

I've been practicing Halloween makeup because I have never tried this technique before. I want to be a broken porcelain doll. The first practice all I did was practice painting and shading. 

  


I started with a clean dry face. :)

For my second practice I used something called Fauxtex, because I have a mild latex allergy to help create some cracks with depth.
First I made the Fauxtex using corn starch, cold water, solid vegetable oil, and unflavored gelatin, and a squirt of white grease paint so it would be the color I was painting my face.
















Then I took some one ply TP and stuck it to my face where I wanted my cracks. I used some warm Fauxtex to stick it down. I added 3 or 4 more layers and tried to let them set. It took a while for it to fully set up, several hours before I was satisfied with it. I also put a thin layer over my eyebrows, it's easy to get out just tedious.
After I had finished with all the Fauxtex I painted my whole face with white grease paint (Not on my eyelids though, those needed to stay clean for the application of false eyelashes) even painting the corners of my mouth leaving some unpainted for later and let that dry. I also applied some white powder over it so I wouldn't smear the paint and to help it set.  


Once the base was done, I applied the pink blush to my cheeks and drew some light lines with eyeliner along the areas I wanted cracks. I also painted in my eyebrows at this point and did the lower lid eyeliner. I took a small pair of scissors and clipped along the drawn lines where I wanted the deep cracks. I filled in the cut areas with black paint, and then shaded along the outside of the cracks using dark brown and gray eye shadows. Then I applied the fake lashes and blue eye shadow, I also put mascara on my natural lashes so they would blend in with the fake ones better.
I wandered around the hive and got some opinions on the makeup, after which I decided to add another deep crack and got opinions again. After the last round of opinions I tried to fade out some of the smaller cracks to make it look more like cracked porcelain and less like a black growth of vines on my face. I think the final product is pretty good.
Next weekend it will be the real deal and I might share some pictures of the whole costume. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment